- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add 3 cups water and next 8 ingredients (through cannellini beans), stirring to combine.
- Combine remaining cup of water and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir tomato paste mixture into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheese, if desired.
Dr Kahlil Shillingford practices weight loss surgery in South Florida. He specializes in the Lap Band, Gastic Sleeve and Gastric Bypass Procedures. He is dedicated to nutrition and counseling patients on their health. If interested please call 561-483-0844 for a free consultation.