Dr. Shillingford is a weight loss surgeon practicing in Florida and is highly skilled in the lap band procedures. Many weight loss surgeon patients have found soup recipes to be helpful post lap band in getting good nutiritional quality, warmth and hydration. We enjoy posting soup recipes; please feel free to enjoy and adjust to your taste.
Cook time: 1 3/4 hours; Prep time: 30 minutes
Calories: 249 (12% DV)Fat: 4g (6% DV)Carbohydrates: 52g (17% DV)Protein: 27g (54% DV)
Chicken thigh meat simmered with black beans, barley, onions, and celery.
Ingredients: Makes 1 serving
- 1 Skinless Chicken Thigh
- 2 tablespoonsPearled Barley
- 1/4 cup Black Beans
- 1/2 Celery Stalk-Medium
- 1/4 Small Yellow Onion
- 1 pinch Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1/5 teaspoon Ground Mustard Seeds
- Cover black beans with water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Return pan to medium heat and add chicken, quartered onion and chopped celery. Cook 1 hour.
- Remove chicken. Add barley, dry mustard and cayenne. Cook for 30 minutes on medium heat or until beans and barley are tender.
- Remove chicken from bones and shred. Return meat only to soup. Simmer for 5 minutes.