Before Surgery Diet
More than 2 Weeks Before Surgery
- Abstain from high-fat and fried foods.
- Cut out table sugar and sweets
- Use only sugar substitutes such as Sweet & low, Equal, or Splenda.
- Stop drinking sweetened drinks such as regular soda and juices.
- Begin weaning off caffeine and carbonated beverages.
- Try making healthy meal choices when eating out and choose to eat at home more.
- Eat 3-5 small meals a day, starting with a balanced breakfast.
- Start decreasing portion sizes.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Drink 64 ounces of water a day, between meals.
- Practice sipping liquids.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Begin an exercise regimen (cardio/strength).
- Practice chewing foods thoroughly, 20 – 40 times or to paste consistency.
- Purchase your protein drinks or supplements.
- Talk to Dr. Shillingford about vitamin and mineral supplements.
- Begin planning a schedule for mealtime, fluids and vitamin and mineral supplements.
Two Weeks Before Surgery
Two weeks prior to surgery you will begin a liquid pre-bariatric surgery diet. Generally this will be composed of pretein shakes totaling 800-1200 calories per day, and consisting of 40-100 grams of protein each day. The purpose of this diet is to reduce body fat in the abdomen, especially in and around the live. This creates a safer environment for surgery and reduces laparoscopic surgery time. Increasing protein intake also encourages the body to burn fat instead of muscle when put on a low-calorie diet. Ultimately, patients will eat a reduced calorie, high protein and low carbohydrate diet long term, therefore, its is beneficial to start making these changes pre-operatively.
You should start the following pre-op diet 14 days before your surgery:
- Replace all your meals with protein supplements, using one of the following:
- Slim-Fast Original – up to 6 per day
- Slim-Fast Optima – up to 7 per day
- Slim-Fast High-Protein – up to 7 per day
- Slim-Fast Smoothies (99% lactose-free) – up to 7 per day
- Boost or Boost with fiber (lactose-free) – up to 5 per day
- Ensure (lactose-free) – up to 5 per day
- Any other protein supplement that is high in protein (15 grams)
- Have sugar-free clear liquids like vegetable broth (no vegetables) and water.
- Foods Not Allowed: Drinks with sugar (like Gatorade, Powerade, Kool-Aid, or Hawaiian Punch), drinks with carbonation (anything that fizzes, like diet coke, etc), drinks with caffeine, whole milk, and all solid foods.
- Resist the “last supper syndrome” – extra weight added, is extra weight to be lost.
- Strict compliance with this diet is mandatory and will make your surgery and subsequent recovery easier.
Attention Diabetics! Choose a diabetes-friendly protein supplement, such as Glucerna, and be sure to monitor your blood sugars and contact Dr. Shillingford if necessary.