Weekends can put us on a different schedule. For some, weekend mornings are the perfect time to fit in a long run, a bike ride, or walk on the beach before breakfast. Finding time to fit exercise into our busy schedules can be tough, but for gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, and lap band patients it is essential to help induce weight loss and keep muscles strong.
After a sweat inducing workout and a shower, you might be ready for brunch instead of breakfast. The best part about this brunch meal is that is uses the omelet in place of bread or a wrap. This substitution reduces the carbohydrates of the meal and adds an extra 14 grams of protein. Protein can be so important after gastric banding, gastric sleeve, and gastric bypass surgery, and should be incorporated into most meals and snacks to ensure you are getting enough. The addition of the spinach makes this omelet feel more like brunch and is a great way to fit extra fresh vegetables into your post bariatric surgery diet.
This omelet roll can be customized to your taste preferences. Turkey can be substituted for ham. Arugula can be used instead of spinach. Add red onion for a nice crunch. Or add a little red pepper flake for a spicy kick. It’s up to you to customize and make it fit into your post workout morning.
Ham, Tomato and Spinach Omelet Roll
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice deli ham
- 2 slices ripe tomato
- ⅓ cup fresh spinach leaves, or other salad greens of your preference
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk together eggs, salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick skillet and spray with cooking spray or add a dollop of oil
- Add the eggs and cook slowly and without stirring.
- When the eggs are almost set, flip gently with a spatula, and cook another minute until omelet is fully cooked.
- Slide the omelet onto a plate. Top with ham, spinach, and tomato.
- Carefully roll the omelet, secure with two toothpicks and cut in half.
The above brunch idea is offered by Dr. Shillingford, M.D., P.A., a board certified surgeon specializing in advanced laparoscopic and obesity surgery. Dr. Shillingford’s lap band, gastric sleeve, and gastric bypass patients come from all over South Florida, including Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Wellington, Miami and Fort Lauderdale, as well as Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville for his expertise in affordable bariatric surgery. Dr. Shillingford’s weight loss surgery patients are often seeking easy, high protein recipes to help them incorporate sufficient into their post bariatric surgery diet.